Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Welcome!

Welcome to Young, Fabulous & Frugal! This is a very special new project for me and I can't wait to share my adventures in frugality with you. Through this blog, I hope to be able to teach my readers some great money-saving methods so they can make some extra room in their budgets and have lots of fun doing it. But before we get to the good stuff, I want to tell you how I got started on this journey and show my appreciation to the people who really inspired me to become fabulously frugal.

Just a few years ago, I was working as a waitress and feeling really unfulfilled. I knew I was capable of more, but I was scared to leave my comfort zone and I was really disappointed in myself. I was too afraid to face the situation I had created for myself and instead I would go shopping to lift my spirits. We've all heard of retail therapy, right? Well, I was a pro at it. I was spending mindlessly and panicking when the bills came in. Sometimes I didn't even open them; at any given time you could find a hefty stack of unopened bills stashed under my bed. I was desperate for guidance and got just the push I needed when I was flipping channels one night and saw The Suze Orman Show for the first time. I got hooked on the "Can I Afford It?" segment, and before I knew it I was in my local library checking out a copy of her book "Young, Fabulous & Broke". I would have bought my copy but, well, I was broke (sorry, Suze). I learned a lot of things from that book; one of them being that I could have money and not spend it.. what a concept! I also discovered an interest in finance that I never knew I had. I began reading everything I could find on the topic, and then proceeded to educate all my friends on the importance of emergency funds, a good FICO score, and saving for retirement (you're welcome, Suze).

Fast forward a couple years - picture me slightly older with a new job and a better handle on my finances. It was at this point that I decided I was ready to move out on my own and so my boyfriend and I signed a lease on a new apartment. With my newfound independence came a whole lot of newfound expenses, and we were constantly looking for new ways to cut back and make some extra room in our budget. It was around this time that a night of channel surfing once again gave me just the inspiration I was seeking. This time it was an episode of Dr. Phil and his guest was a woman named Ashley - aka Frugal Coupon Mom (currently located at http://www.frugalcouponliving.com/). Through this segment and some awesome blogs, Ashley's included, I learned how to master the art of couponing and deal hunting. I was so impressed at how much I was able to reduce our spending on grocery and household items that I wanted to share my new gift with others.

I'm so thrilled that you're here! You'll want to be sure to bookmark this page and check back often because I have lots in store for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment